Opole University of Technology (Polish name: Politechnika Opolska; sometimes called in English Technical University of Opole) is a university located in Opole, Poland. The university was founded in 1959 as a consultative branch of Silesian University of Technology. In 1966 it became an independent university known as Wyższa Szkoła Inżynierska w Opolu (Higher School of Engineering in Opole). The name Politechnika Opolska (Opole University of Technology) is used since 1996. The university has over 500 lecturers and over 9000 students in seven faculties.